An interesting, relatively balanced programme on foreign language learning on Radio 4’s Word of Mouth – plenty of things I agree with (e.g. decline of languages linked to problematic education policies in recent years), but plenty of other things I disagree with (e.g. PhDs on Proust and/or other canonic authors are still valid and vitally important!). Challenging thoughts re. the ‘market-driven’ approach to language degrees – do students make the right choices or are they not in a position so to do? Should universities subsidise Modern Languages departments? Have education policies created a ‘class-divide’ in terms of language-learning? A range of answers to these questions presented in the programme.
Poetry and Music
- @elleccollins phew! Bon week-end à toi aussi! 4 days ago
- So Ch.4 is edited & proofed. But I am exhausted. Time for a long weekend break, despite the looming deadline.. Is that ok @elleccollins?! 4 days ago
- @Libby_Burgess @Southwell_Music @AlisonRoseSop Oh, wish I could be there-it's high in the @baudelaireproj wish list of getting to hear live! 4 days ago
- On a break away from #BaudelaireInSong typescript editing/proofing, I snuck out and collected these beauties! https://t.co/gBDthAPwIx 4 days ago
- @Prof_S_Abbott Thanks! It was right to be brutal with Ch.1 but I'm in the zone/flow now. Not ready for others' eyes yet though... 6 days ago